Do you find yourself saying “My bathroom smells musty” more often than you did in the past? You’re not alone! Mold and mildew grow well in places that are warm and damp, like bathrooms. Bathrooms are naturally warm and damp. But if your nose tells you that it’s not just an ordinary day in an ordinary bathroom, it could be something other than the steam from the shower.
Why Does My Bathroom Smell Like Mold?
The amount of water used in a bathroom, especially hot water, can keep the humidity level in the room at a steady level. Clearing the air and keeping the environment dry can be hard to do. On the other hand, if you smell something musty, you are probably dealing with the fungus that causes mold to grow.
So What if I Have a Moldy Bathroom?
Mold can sometimes sneak up on you. It grows in places like cabinets and behind walls. It can grow in the folds of your shower curtain or in the spaces behind your towels, picture frames, or mirrors. It can build up on the grout between your tiles and on your paint, as well as inside your light fixtures and fan and around your faucets, toilets, and baths.
Not only does it smell bad, but it could also be bad for your health and the health of your family. Mold can cause a wide range of symptoms, such as headaches, runny nose, painful sinuses, feeling tired, nauseated, nosebleeds, and trouble breathing. Also, the mold you can see is not the only thing to worry about. When mold is stirred up, the spores may break off and fly through the air. When this happens, it could make mold-related health problems worse and spread to other parts of your home.
How Can I Get Rid of the Moldy Smell?
If your bathroom smells musty, you need to do something about it. It is not going to get better on its own. In fact, the situation will only get worse as time goes on. What do you have to do? Try out some of the following:
- Add more air flow to your bathroom. With better ventilation, your bathroom will dry out faster after you take a shower or bath. This will help lower the humidity and stop mold from growing.
- Keep your environment clean by cleaning your bathroom often. This will help keep the smell pleasant while getting rid of the fungus that causes mold and making it harder for mold to grow.
- Use the right products. Just like it’s important to wash your hands well after using the bathroom, it’s also important to keep the bathroom clean by using the right cleaning products.
- Squeegee the walls of the shower. When you’re done taking a shower, squeegee the walls to get rid of any extra water and lower the humidity.
- Turn on the fan because it can be tempting to let the bathroom get humid and hot while you’re in the shower or bath. Run the fan while you’re in the tub or shower and for a short time afterward to reduce the chance that mold will grow.
Work With the Professionals
If you notice that your bathroom smells musty, you can take the right steps to make sure it stays dry in the future. Contact the local CBJ Plumbing Union City NJ franchise to check for leaking pipes and improve ventilation. Call (201) 875-1054.
If mold is thought to be present, Rainbow International’s mold remediation and removal services come highly recommended. Neighborly is home to a community of home service providers, and Rainbow International is a member of that community, just like CBJ Plumbing Union City NJ. You can count on Rainbow International for all of your needs, such as getting rid of mold and fixing up your home.